The Information Sphere Collects When you use the Services, you may be invited to provide personal information in order to receive additional information from Sphere or the Services. This information may include information that personally identifies you, such as your full name, e-mail address, or other account registration information (personally identifiable information or “PII”). The Services may also collect other information when you use the Services that does personally identify you, such as the type of browser and operating system you are using, your IP address, and your device identifiers. Such information is sometimes collected to improve the design and content of our Services or analyze the usage of Services.
Personally Identifiable Information As a general matter, you can browse the Services without submitting your personally identifiable information to us. However, there are a number of circumstances in which you may supply us with your personally identifiable information. The following lists the most common ways in which we may collect your personally identifiable information.
• Registration for an account on the Services or creating a user profile
• Request for customer service or other assistance
• Sign up to receive e-mail newsletters or e-mail alerts from us
• Sign up to receive e-mail offers from Sphere or Sphere partners
• Participation in surveys, panels, or market research
• Participation in special events and promotions
• Entry in contests or sweepstakes
• Participation on social media accounts involving Sphere and/or our Services
• Submission of user generated content on any part of the Services that permits it
• Any other place on our Services where you knowingly volunteer personally identifiable information
Collection of Personally Identifiable Information From or Through Social Media Sites When you interact with Sphere on a social media platform, such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google+, Tumblr, LinkedIn, YouTube, or Pinterest, we may collect the personally identifiable information that you make available to us on that page or account including your account ID or username. However, we will comply with the privacy policies of the corresponding social media platform and we will only collect and store such personally identifiable information that we are permitted to collect by these social media platforms. If you choose to link or login to your Sphere account with or through a social networking service, Sphere and that service may share certain information about you and your activities. With your consent, we also may share information about your activities through your applicable social media account, including what you view on the Site.
Non-Personally Identifiable Information In addition, when you interact with the Services, we may collect certain information that does not identify you individually and our servers may automatically keep an activity log of your use of our Services (“non-personally identifiable information” or “non-PII”). Generally, we collect and store the following categories of non-personally identifiable information:
• Demographic data such as age and gender. This may also include the number of guests on the Services. Our Services may post such information in the aggregate on the Services or provide such information to third parties in an anonymized manner.
• Device information about your computer, mobile device, or other device that you use to access the Services. This information may include IP address, unique device identifiers, browser type, browser language, and other transactional information.
• Usage information about your use of the Services. This information includes a reading history of the pages you view. We use this information to provide you a more customized experience on the Services in an anonymized manner.
• Additional “traffic data” such as time of access, date of access, software crash reports, session identification number, access times, and referring website addresses.
• Your search terms and search results on the Services, as well as other information regarding your use of the Services.
Collection of Personally and Non-Personally Identifiable Information From Other Sources We also may collect and store information about you that we receive from other sources and from our offline interactions with you to enable us to verify, update and correct the information contained in our database and to better customize your experience on the Services, among other purposes.
How Sphere Uses Your Information We may use the information we learn from you to help us personalize and continually improve your experience on the Services. We may use your personally and non-personally identifiable information in the following ways: A. General Uses
• Provide you with the content, products and services you request
• Post your user generated content to our Services, as you request
• Communicate with you about your account or transactions with us and send you information about features and enhancements on or to our Services
• Communicate with you about changes to our policies
• Communicate with you about your comment to a story or topic
• Personalize content and experiences on our Services, including providing you recommendations based on your preferences
• Send you newsletters, offers and promotions for our products and services, third party products and services, or special events by e-mail, text, or other another medium
• Provide you with advertising including advertising based on your activity on our Services or activity on third party sites and applications
• Administer contests, sweepstakes, promotions, and surveys
• Optimize or improve our products, services and operations
• Detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be illegal
• Perform statistical, demographic, and marketing analyses of users of the Services and their purchasing patterns
B. Combination of Your Personally Identifiable Information We may use the information from one portion of the Services on other portions of the Services, and we may combine information gathered from multiple portions of the Services into a single user record. We may also use and/or combine information that we collect off-line or we collect or receive from third party sources to enhance, expand, and check the accuracy of your user records.
Sphere retains the right to transfer your personal information to a successor in interest pursuant to a change of control of the Services or a sale of all or substantially all of the Service’s assets. We may disclose or share non-personally identifiable information (or other information, other than personally identifiable information) in any other manner that we deem appropriate or necessary, as described below.
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but, if you prefer, you can usually modify your browser setting to disable or reject cookies. If you delete your cookies or if you set your web browser to decline cookies, some features of the Services may not work or may not work as designed. For more information on cookies and how to disable them, you can consult the information provided by the Interactive Advertising Bureau at www.allaboutcookies.org.
Protecting Your Information We are concerned about ensuring the security of your personally identifiable information and take reasonable security measures to protect such information. Please understand, however, that while we try our best to safeguard your personally identifiable information once we receive it, no transmission of data over the Internet or any other public network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
You need to help protect the privacy of your own information. You must take precautions to protect the security of any personally identifiable information that you may transmit over any home networks, wireless routers, wireless (WiFi) networks or similar devices. You are responsible for the security of your information when using unencrypted, open access or otherwise unsecured networks. It is also important to remember that comments submitted may be recorded and stored in multiple places, both on the Services and elsewhere on the Internet. It is therefore important that you are careful and selective about the personal information that you disclose about yourself and others, and in particular, you should not disclose sensitive, embarrassing, proprietary or confidential information to Sphere or on the Services.
Law Enforcement Sphere will cooperate with law enforcement and disclose any requested information if they believe, in good faith, that such disclosure is necessary to: (i) handle fraud, attacks against our systems, or security conflicts, (ii) remain in line with currently applicable state and federal laws or regulations, (iii) continue to abide by Sphere’s Terms and Conditions, or (iv) protect the public or Sphere from any attacks against intellectual or physical property rights.
Opt-Out Provisions You may opt-out of having your personally identifiable information shared with business partners and third parties by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may always opt-out of receiving future e-mail marketing messages and newsletters from Sphere. You may opt-out of receiving communications from us by contacting email@example.com.
Children The Services is not intended for children under 18 years of age and Sphere does not knowingly collect personal information from children under 18 years of age. If you are under 18 years of age, do not provide personal information to Sphere without providing us with consent from your parents. If we discover that a child under the age of 18 has provided us with personal information and we do not have parental consent, Sphere will immediately delete that child’s information from the Services. If you believe that Sphere has been provided with the personal information of a child under the age of 18 without parental consent, please notify us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org.